Monday, February 23, 2009

Rum Cake Recipe


When Jonathan and I got married in the Cayman Islands, we discovered Tortuga Rum Cakes. They are delicious! As a matter of fact, since we couldn't bring home the top layer of our wedding cake, we ordered a Tortuga rum cake for our first anniversary! This past weekend, I decided to try a recipe for rum cake. It tastes just like the Tortuga ones and it is so easy to make! I thought I would post the recipe in case any of you guys wanted to try it. Let me know if you bake it and what you think!


Golden Rum Cake


INGREDIENTS

1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark rum

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum. Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts in the pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto serving plate. Brush glaze over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until all glaze is used.
To make the glaze: in a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum.


**You can add any flavor of rum you would like. I used the regular spiced rum. **

**When I pulled the cake out of the pan, I poured half or the glaze into the bundt pan and set the cake back in the pan. Then I poured the rest of the rum glaze on top of the cake. I let the cake absorb the rum glaze before removing it to serve.**

**This cake is especially good after a day or sitting**

1 comment:

Christina said...

Sounds yummy! I might have to try to make it some time.