Sunday, October 5, 2008

Team Hoyt VB-St. Mary's 5K run

This past Saturday morning, I ran in the St. mary's 5K run on Fort Story. I found out about this race after running the Rock and Roll Half Marathon, when I spoke with one of the other Team Hoyt runners. He told me that I should come out and push a disabled child during their next race (all of the pushers are local and push children from CHKD and St. Mary's Home for Disabled Children, so they can compete in the race). I had wanted to do this ever since I saw the Team Hoyt VB team at the CHKD run back in June (I think..??).
Anyway, after I got home that day, I contacted St. Mary's and that week I filled out all of the background check information that would allow me to push one of there precious children in this race.
As it got closer to race day, i had a lot of people ask me if I had ever ran with a jogging stroller before. I hadn't...I didn't think it was a big deal. However, everyone was telling me how much harder it is to run while pushing a child. I decided to practice with Addison, the little 20lb girl that I watch during the week. Well, pushing that extra 20 lbs was HARD!! I knew that the child I would be pushing in the race would be at least double her weight. I started getting a little nervous.
Race day came and when I got onto Fort Story, I was introduced to my child. Her name was Day Z (pronounced Daisy). She was very sweet and I talked to her for a bit before the race, but she didn't respond much. Well once we started the race and I began running, Day Z laughed the whole time!!! I felt so guilty for all of the times that I have looked at a mentally challenged or disabled child and thought that they had no clue what was going around them. This little girl laughing, inspired me the whole race! We finished about 30 minutes and it was awesome! It was such a wonderful experience and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to take part in this wonderful cause.
Unfortunately, this was Team Hoyt's last race until the spring. I can't wait to get more involved with this wonderful group in the spring and get to know more of the children at St. Mary's.
I have tried posting pictures, but for some reason, it has not let me upload photos. I will try again soon...so check back!!

No comments: