Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dismal Swamp Stomp 2009




I have been signed up for weeks now to participate in the Dismal Swamp Stomp half marathon here in Chesapeake. This is the very first marathon that I did a year ago. I didn't have great luck as the first time I ran it, I had not trained at all! I was really looking forward to running it this year because now 13.1 miles is a breeze to me!


Well, I talked my friend Lori into running this one for her first half marathon as well. We were going to run it together. Well, as luck would have it, I have injured my foot and the doctor advised me not to run on it until I had no pain. Unfortunately since going to the doctor this past Tuesday, nothing with my foot has improved. They gave me a cortisone shot and that has not even helped with the swelling. I will be going to the doctors again very soon and I am hoping that we can pin point exactly what is going on with my foot.


This had me very frustrated! Then, one night at family dinner, my mother in law asked me if I thought she would be able to walk a half marathon in the time they allowed the course to be open. I said "absolutely!" Well, she asked my mom to walk it with her. They signed up, and since I was already signed up to run, I decided that I would just walk the 13.1 miles with them. We had a lot of fun! We were definitely over it by about mile 8 though....13 miles is a long walk! We finished in 3 hours and 50 minutes. It was very hard for me at the beginning seeing all the runners so excited...i wanted to run....bad! But, I am glad that I had my mom and mother in law there to walk it with. I still finished the half marathon, and that's all that matters!


Congratulations to Lori who finished her first half marathon in 1 hour and 57 minutes! AWESOME!!


I'm glad that she is hooked on these races and once my foot heals, we will be doing many together, I am sure!! Lori...can, you say triathlon in september?! :) (check it out, there is one in virginia beach!)


No comments: