Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sham-Rock On! 26.2 miles

Many of you know that I have been training for my first full marathon (26.2 miles) for the past 6 months or so. I have 4 half marathons under my belt and decided that it was time for a new challenge. The date of my marathon quickly approached and before I knew it, March 22nd was here! Last Sunday was my last long run and the i was supposed to take this week off from running. I did end up doing a coupld miles two days this past week, but nothing huge. Friday, I started carbo loading. Jonathan and i went to Atlas pizza and then on Saturday we met some friends of ours for a pasta dinner at Olive Garden! This is me the morning of my marathon (obviously BEFORE the run) :)
Jonathan and my family were waiting for me at the finish line. Special thanks to Heather and Josh, the Otte Family, Lori, my family, Jonathan, and T J Bilbrey for coming out and cheering! You have no idea how much the cheering and supportive comments help! I'm pretty sure TJ doesn't read this blog, but Laura, please tell your husband that him and the troops were THE MOST supportive throughout the whole 26 miles. They were awesome..please thank him for me! :)

This was right after the race. I felt like I could not stand any longer.....currently I am still feeling this way! Haha
I must say that running the 26.2 miles was absolutely miserable while you're in the middle of it. But once you cross the finish line, you seem to forget about all of the pain that you just went through. Immediately after I finished, I said "No way..not again!" Now, I'm not opposed to another one at all. My official time has not been released yet, but I am thinking it is right around 4 hours and 40 minutes. I did not have a goal time for this race, I just wanted to finish. Next time I will aim for 4.5 hours. With a little bit of harder training, i know I can do it!
Thanks again for those of you who came out and to those of you who have been so supportive and encouraging these past 6 months. It means so much to me!!
Who wants to run the next marathon with me?! :)


5 comments:

Christina said...

Yay Missy! Good for you!

Brent and Liz said...

great job!! hmm, don't think i'll join you =) but I will certainly cheer YOu on!

anthonyandbeth said...

WOO HOO!!! i'm SO proud of you!!! i can't wait to get my pictures up! :) i LOVED my 1/2. not one minute of it was miserable. felt awesome. i'm SO happy about that! :) i don't see a full in my future...too much time commitment with small children. after they're older, we'll see. :) but i'll def. do more 1/2's :) SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! :) you are AWESOME!!! now, TAKE IT EASY for a while! :)

Jessica and Adam Herndon said...

CONGRATS!! What a serious accomplishment!

Unknown said...

Great Job Missy!! I am not sure about doing a full marathon I need to get through my first half marathon first. But I do think we should train for a mini triathlon :)